Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Voting or Not


So I’m not the smartest and didn’t really do my homework. I knew I was registered to vote…in PA. I live in TN now, but my registration hasn’t changed. I thought I could do the absentee ballot thing, but I’m neither a student nor in the military. I’d have to fly back to PA and vote in the county of my license there. This makes sense and I’m not saying it’s wrong or anything like that. However, I can’t afford to fly to PA without taking a pretty big risk of not being able to afford November’s rent. 
So am I too poor to vote? Maybe. Maybe not. 
Did I really want to vote in the first place? Maybe. Maybe not. 
You see I believe that exercising my right to vote is an important part of preserving one of the great symbols of what’s still good about the US. Still, with the electoral college and battleground states and lying douchebags running for both of the two major parties, it is mostly just a symbol. 
Does your vote matter and should you vote if you can? Yeah, I believe so.
Will you then be responsible for choosing between two politicians? Obviously.
So it’s kind of a relief to be honest. The president doesn’t have as much power as this season makes us think, and no matter what/who gets elected. The way that you live in your local area, loving your neighbor and all that, will make a bigger contribution than your vote will. 
(and I was prob gonna vote for Jill Stein anyway)

No comments:

Post a Comment