Sunday, June 2, 2013

Signals and Time and What Really Matters

Hello Internauts!

This age of mostly (if not only) watching TV shows online has made me realize a few things. One of those is that there I certainly shows I probably would not love or even like as much as I do were it not for having watched most of their runs in a marathon whirlwind of from 2 to 10 episodes a night (okay let’s not kid ourselves, sometimes it was a couple seasons). Of course, I only noticed this after reaching the point where I’d caught up to the current season and now have to watch it one episode at a time once a week. And then the season goes and freakin ends!?!!

Would I have liked these shows or even followed them at all if my first impression hadn’t been one where I could dive into the larger story-archs and immediately satisfy my craving to catch the cliffhangers in a net before their bloody doomed descent?

(And another point, would I like shows that are now finished as much if I couldn’t have watched them altogether?)

I think it’s the same for me with comic books. I’ll generally prefer if I can read a bound collection of the whole story arch over going issue by issue once a month.

Sure, I recognize that both shows and comics are works of art, usually created by a big team all working very hard to give their best on every level in a relatively short period of time. I also recognize that this need for constant entertainment overload is a product of an age of accessibility.
However, for some works if you’re not really worth the wait of a week or a month (or a few years for certain fandoms), it really seems like you’re going to lose not only your audience but many times the very point of what you’re doing.

In this day and age of drowning inside a sea of mediocre yet constant media presentation, there really is no struggle to find constant exposure of some sort of creative work. However, just because it’s there doesn’t mean it’s good. I think maybe I’d prefer quality over quantity when it comes to most art, in the end, but there’s also something to be said for the good that can come from regular, steady work.

It’s an uphill climb, but there’s sunshine on the mountaintop.

And as always, art is in the questions.

I know it's been a few months since I've come out with any studio jams, and there are some decent reasons for that, but please know I am always creating. Whatever your outlet is, you gotta work on that every day. I try and write every day and play guitar and even draw a little, but really it's also about living in a head space that says no matter what happened yesterday I can do and be something real and honest today.

Without further rambling, please feel free to check out a new song for ya:

Video: What Really Matters

Download: What Really Matters

All proceeds from the track will be going to help widows, orphans, and adoptive families at http://www.bothhandsfoundation.org

The awesome Kelly Aus, who played violin on this track, introduced me to this foundation, and I'm really glad for any help we can send their way.

Have a fantastically new day, every day! (or something like that)

No comments:

Post a Comment