Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Scary Movies and an Update too!?!!

Dear Internauts, 
How ya doing? 
I saw the film Lights Out last night and really enjoyed it. It uses a smart and creative script to convey what could have been far too simple a horror concept. It works, I think, on multiple levels as both a fun scare-fest and a tragic allegory for the way that mental illness and loss can affect the one with the illness and their family. Unlike plenty of other horror flicks, though, it doesn't make the one with the illness out to be themselves a monster but rather shows how hard it is to deal with for them and those they love. This external antagonistic force can so often feel like it's all our fault and make us feel hopeless or terrified and want to hide away from those who love us. 
I don't think that is really a spoiler in any way but represents why you might find it a good watch. If you've seen it, I'd love to know your thoughts. While it's a jump-scare filled summer thriller, it's also an intelligent, character-driven drama. 
I've also been reading Freedom by Daniel Suarez, the sequel to the masterwork which is Daemon. Think Michael Chricton level research and technical knowledge in a sci-fi thriller of Hollywood proportions (but with the kind of sci-fi smarts more often found in Philip K. Dick short stories). It's hard sci-fi based in tech that exists or will likely exist very soon. What happens when the killer in a detective story isn't a person but a computer program designed by a dead genius? What will it take to stop it? Can it even be stopped? AH! It's so good. 
Anyways, I started on a new song last night. Pretty personal, but nothing I haven't shared on here before. Sincerity enriches art. Breaking it down into twenty-ish lines of verse can be tough, though. 
By the by, if there are any songs you'd love to hear me cover or any questions you feel like asking me about anything at all, let me know on this blog, facebook, twitter, or email ( odistabettor@gmail.com ).
Hope you have a lovely week!!! Keep your head up, k?
......
The following was posted on my new kickstarter page as an update. To check that out and/or help fund my next recording project, visit https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1610720524/odist-abettor-ep
If you're reading this, you might have noticed I have a kickstarter campaign. I remember for a while there, it seemed like everyone had one of these. Knowing plenty of artists is one of my favorite parts of life, though at times it can seem like everyone is trying to get their next project funded at the same time. I've helped fund some projects in the past, but could never give very much. There have also been plenty of projects I wanted to give to but couldn't. 
Soooo, when I say no pressure, I mean it. I understand that just paying for the necessities in life is tough enough. Even if you're steadily employed, it can def throw off your budget or cause stress whenever someone from left field asks for money. 
I care far more about not stressing you out or making things hard for you than I do about convincing you to give money to this or any project. Thus why most everything I've released before has been free or 'pay what you want'. 
So why is this different? Why would I even want to do a project that requires funding after all I've been able to do for free in the past? Basically, why in the world am I doing this whole thing?
Well, I have (for the sake of brevity and balance) 3 main reasons: 
1. Money or not, no work is free. Other recordings I've done took an ever building number of hours from folks kind enough to volunteer their time and talent. Artists do a lot of work for free when they should be paid. I can never fully pay back all those who've given of themselves to help realize my artistic visions. Even my self-produced album Hazard Lights took so much time and energy, I still don't know where it all came from. But then, of course, I remember how that project succeeded for the same reason I know this one can, because...
2. I believe this could be the best yet. I know, belief isn't everything, but it's a necessary ingredient to mix into the foundation of any creative endeavor. It's why I keep pushing forward with stories, songs, and drawings even when I feel so stuck or depressed it seems hopeless. It's tough to see the potential of anything during the process of making it. That said, I've been through a lot of living since the last go. Plus, so much has happened in the world. I've written a lot of songs and gotten better as a songwriter, musician, and performer. Working with a new producer in a pro studio, I believe, can take all the ingredients I bring and help build up something marvelous. Still, I gotta be cautious and sensible, right? Well...
3. Nothing decently worthwhile I've ever done has been without risk. Growing up, whenever anyone asked what I wanted to do with my life and I even hinted at music, they got this look on their face. It was like they saw a dead bunny on the side of the road. I'm only where I am because of the people who have believed and supported me, but then I should also thank all those people who lectured me about practicality and having a fallback plan. What I'm risking here is trusting folks I don't know with aspects of my music and my reputation as an artist. But then, I can always write more songs, and I should really care a lot less what anybody thinks of me.  It also feels pretty scary asking you for help. Asking anyone for help. I'm so grateful for the trust you put in me and please know how much your support means to me. Your risk means so much, but it also has only two pretty simple outcomes. Either A) you help me create some new and different and amazing art, or B) if we don't reach the goal by the end of this, you get your money back. No problem.
Feel free to check back here or on my blog @ odistabettormusic.blogspot.com for further updates. Thank you for your help! 
This is very exciting :)
-Odist

No comments:

Post a Comment