Monday, August 21, 2017

33/52 - I MADE A COMICS (and other nonsense)

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." - Jean-Paul Sartre

Dear Internauts,

Not much to say this week. In all honesty I've been trying to come up with something to post but am fairly drained after finishing up with a certain project FINALLY.

Might not be what you were hoping, but yes, Chapter One of my graphic novel project is done. Chapter Two should take less time, I'm hoping, as most of these past months were all about learning how in the world to make a comic as much if not more than how to make this comic.

I'm still not sure how to best share this with you. I've sent a few folks the google drive link to a pdf file as it's too large to attach directly to an email. When I tried compressing it lost serious image quality. All this goes to show that I know way less about computers than probably most people my age. I'll be figuring out what to do with this later, but for now we can just celebrate that I made something, right?

Anyway, here's the cover!


So with that checked off, I've started to rewrite the outline for the bigger story. In writing this first chapter a whole lot has changed, and I feel like I've grown both as an artist and a writer. It's been pretty weird, as I drew all the time growing up and have always loved comics, but never really considered making them until this year. 

I'll be starting on chapter two as soon as I get it written, and hoping that it should take much less time now that I know a bit more of the format. 

Also, my producer has had a lot going on in his life, thus why the songs I recorded last fall have taken so long to come out. I've started work on a lyric video and want to get the song and video to you as soon as they're ready. As with anything, the more folks you bring into it the more complex it gets. Still, I feel like this music is all the better for being in these other hands. 

I want to get back into writing songs on a regular basis. Truth is, I felt like I really failed by not being able to make it work in Massachusetts. I'm still not sure what the next step is, but I think for now I've gotta keep working on becoming a better writer, artist, and musician, performing more, and try to pick up some kinda work so I can save up for whatever may come. My fam's been busy with a lot of changes going on, but I'm wicked grateful for my folks being there to help me stay strong and move forward. 

Mental illness is a helluva thing, and some days I still feel more losing than anything. I gotta take advantage of those rare times when I do have the energy and motivation to make something unique and real. 

All in all, we're only our most honest selves. Everything else peels like old paint. 

There's no room for the oppression of fascists, racists, bigots, and haters in a genuine, loving, progressive society. I stand with all those who stand against institutions of hateful prejudice. 

Hope you have a great week, and happy ECLIPSE!

Thanks for reading,
Odist

p.s. - if you haven't seen it, this Tina Fey video is spot-on and hilarious

No comments:

Post a Comment