Thursday, January 30, 2014

Why You're Wrong aka Existential Waffles

Here's why, if it has to be one or the other, I prefer to argue facts online and discuss ideas in person. You've most likely done way more research about whatever topic we're arguing. This is probably why you felt okay getting into an argument in the first place. Maybe not. If so, though, I'd like to be able to come from a relatively even ground as far as our abilities to bring up relevant studies and stats. This way we can actually come to a more educated conclusion of some kind, and whatever our mental scuffle is about will not have been thrown around in vain.

Most folks I've argued with about facts in person don't want me on an even ground with them as far as information is concerned. There seems to be more of an emphasis placed on putting me down for my ignorance than educating me and possibly learning something themselves. Maybe this is why it turns into an argument, because it's not about respecting the other but putting them in their place.

In most cases, if you really cared about the topic at hand, you'd want to help me understand where you're coming from, not slam me down with the almighty force of how brilliantly you memorized an article in the Times. If you want to try online though, at very least I can also look up so half-assed editorial bullshit as strongly-partisan as yours. 

Ideas? Let's discuss ideas anywhere! Anytime! Anyverse! Seriously! Or funnily! I am madly in love with ideas!

Facts? They tend to be boring and I will be critical of your bigotry about how yours are "so much better and therefore I suck."

But ideas? I will make sweet passionate love to ideas and in the morning there will be waffles.

Existential waffles.

No comments:

Post a Comment