Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Facade

Growing up going to camp and school and church, I heard a lot of speeches about the way my female peers ought to dress so as not to tempt the males. At the same time, the males were taught how to avoid being tempted by the inherent and evil sexuality of females. This was usually a lecture presented by an adult male to adolescent males and females. This fixation on the sexualization of the female body, of the snare males could so easily fall into by womanly wiles, of the double standard by which one group was declared dangerously powerful and therefore stripped of all power. This was often followed by an addendum that girls should remember they are more than their outward appearance.

Honestly, I’ve no idea how any of my female peers make it through such cognitive dissonance and oppressive hypocrisy. I’m so sorry for the ways in which I’ve pushed this propaganda myself. Thank you for being patient with me anyway.

And guys, let’s step it up. Call out sexism both in ourselves and others. Be respectful. Please.

__________

I know it's been a while since I've posted here and for that I apologize. I have so very much I'd like to express about these many months but have yet to find the right words. Soon though, I hope.

In the meantime, feel free to check out my new album, HAZARD LIGHTS
 

Half of all future album sales will be going toward WATER

No comments:

Post a Comment